Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Last Few Days in Kuwait

Updating this blog is becoming increasingly more difficult because there are so many soldiers going after the same 10 internet plug-ins! Admittedly, last week I was very spoiled because I had a password to the wireless network (given to me by someone who bought it on base) but that has since expired and I’m back to standing in endless lines. Not that I am above standing in lines; it’s just that the lines never seem to end! To combat that (pun intended), I went to buy my own wireless 4-day voucher but for some reason they are no longer available. So the days of sitting in the air-conditioned tent writing emails and updating my blog in Kuwait are apparently behind me!

But because I care about you all soooo much, this afternoon I stood outside the USO tent for 45 minutes prior to the center opening so I could be one of the first to get a computer and let you know how I'm doing! I'm not under the assumtion I have a loyal following but I know my mom, grandmother, and in-laws like to know what I am up to. So here goes...

I should be leaving for Iraq any day now. All of my training in Kuwait is now complete, including a 3 day field-training sojourn to the desert where we learned about convoy tactics, techniques and procedures (TTP’s), identifying and reacting to improvised explosive devices (IED’s) and extraction of casualties on the battlefield. Vital and important stuff but not altogether fun. In the field, there is no electricity or running water, nowhere to sleep but on the sand or on a hard sandy floor in a makeshift tent that doubles as our classroom and our sleeping quarters, and nothing but delicious MRE’s for every meal. This is the life of a grunt, a soldier, a Joe. At times, it can actually be fun and in hindsight, it’s never as bad as it feels at the time. So when I start to complain and feel tired and dirty, I remind myself this is what thousands of Marines and Soldiers deal with on a daily basis – THIS kind of soldiering is their job – and I have no room to complain because, for me, it’s over when the training is over. For them, it doesn’t end until their tired and beat up feet finally hit American soil. We should all thank them because theirs is a difficult and thankless job.

Okey Dokey, back to My Life. Because pictures tell the story better than mere adjectives, here a few shots of our training:

Nothing but soldiers and desert for miles - our training started at 4:30am. Live-fire quick reaction and close quarters marksmanship (I look a lot cooler than I am!) In front of and on the 5-Ton in preparation for Convoy Rehearsals
I was the vehicle commander for our humvee (God Help Us). Here I am identifying our vehicle to the Convoy Commander. Our call sign was DUSTMAKER 10 Yummy scrumptious MRE’s – this particular delight is Chicken Fajita. (just imagine how tasty it is …it’s designed to last 10 years!)
5 Star Accommodations And finally, more Camels just for fun
As I mentioned, according to my liaison I should be leaving for Iraq within the next few days. That is probably the next time you will hear from me. Until then, I’m spending my time watching SEINFELD on my cot…and of course, missing all of you, in particular my husband and Gumata! I'll be back as soon as I can....

14 comments:

smilnsigh said...

Thank you for standing in line, to update us!!!

When you get to Iraq, Octal and his 'Blue Iraq' {link won't access at the moment, but it's on his LJ Profile page} is in the business of communications. Yeah, I know, probably not easily done. ,-)

Much luck that it will be easier to link up with internet plug-ins, there though.

Mari-Nanci

ancient one said...

Sorry you had to wait in line, so thank you for doing it. I check your blog several times a day looking to see if you've updated. The pictures are appreciated as well. It gives us a real glimpse of what's going on with you.

You stay safe. Our prayers are always with you. Love ya!!

Linda Collins said...

Hey baby,
Thanks for the reference...good to hear that all is well and most importantly, you are ok...love the writing and the pics...uhh! to that fahita thing....but not to worry as soon as you are home...we will just fix ALL your favorites...
Take care and e mail when you can.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Addie,
Thank you for the standing in line to update your blog. I knowing how you are doing and what is going on with you.
Be safe and know that we truly apperciate the scarifices that you are making.

Love,
Nellie

Unknown said...

hi
just got my new computer back from repair for the 4th time.do you have the opportunity to partake of the local quisine at all? we will forgive you if you can,t make it to the line once in a while.what do you do in sparetime do you knit or crochet.or do crafts. how about sand painting ?lol looks like it is hard to find a bush to squat behind over there? have you tried camel riding yet.
love and stay safe .cousin

Anonymous said...

Addie,
We appreciate you standing in line to update your blog. We are thankful that we can keep a check on you and how you are doing. Our prayers are with you. I'm sorry that you had you had to leave your new husband and "baby." We have a new miniature dachshund "baby" and a beagle lab mixed dog we've had for two years so we can relate about leaving your "babies." As far as the MREs, I hope it tastes somewhat better than it looks. The pictures are great. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay safe and thank you and everyone there for what they are doing for us.
Love,
Sheila and Amy Benson

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Can't you get to the front of the line with your looks?
Thanks for the details and all the photos it helps to know specifically what your day is like.

Sending you love,
Courtney (and Kitty, on my lap)

gail said...

Hello from New Jersey.. Addie, That chicken Fajita filling doesn't seem to have the white meat in it as the package says. It's great to see what you are up to. Wish my neighbor could be there instead of you. The neighbor that lives at 23 not 19. They say you can't pick your family, but you can't pick your neighbors either. Checking in every day to see how you are and what your doing. I know you are doing all this for all of us, so here is something for you. Greg, my son, is just a guy who is madly in LOVE with his wife! Until tomorrow, My prayers are with you, Gail.xxoo

Me said...

hello?? Is anyone there - how do you work this thing, I don't hear anything. hello - hellllllooooooooo - ahhh forget it

2 LMZ FARMS said...

Addie, thank you for giving us an update. If you run across a Marine by the name of Tyler Patterson, would you please give him a hug from his favortie cuz. I sure miss him. Right now, my son is to leave for there the first of Feb. and the photos help me to understand where and what he will be doing. I wish you God speed and safety.
Laura

Unknown said...

i love ya mama!!!! keep your head hi. we are all so proud of you!!!!!!! mo

Anonymous said...

Addie,
I think about you everyday and I am going to T's weding in your place.
I love you very much and keep safe.

Love,
Nannie

QuiltingFitzy said...

Keeping you in our thoughts each and every day.

DD#3 20yo deploys Nov.'08, you are giving me a very privileged look into what her life will be like.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for what you are doing for us and for our freedoms.

Company Setup Consultants said...

you want to Get a trade license dubai Without an Office- but how? This blog will inform you on the entire process of get a Dubai trade license.