Saturday, September 8, 2007

Georgia...Maine...Ireland...Kuwait...Iraq

I'm currently on the third stop of my of my two city, three country adventure. Ireland, where the Guiness is thick and the spirit is high. As we came off the plane and in to the terminal, the crowd erupted into spontaneous applause. That feels good because considering where we are heading, I anticipate that will be the last standing ovation we receive until we return home.

I have just a few minutes before we have to reboard but since I have an internet connection, I wanted to check in to let you know I am doing well. The week at Fort Benning was quick and easy. Greg was able to come down from Tuesday to Friday and although we didn't have as much time as we wanted, I was luckier than most because everyone else said goodbye to their family before leaving for Benning. That said, the final goodbye yesterday was/is gut-wrenching. It doesn't seem real to me that I will not return home in a week and fall in to his hug. In fact, when I wake up from sleeping on the plane, I painfully realize all over again that with each flight I am flying further and further away from the love of my life. I know it's only nine or ten months but right now, that does little to comfort me. One. Day. At. A. Time.

I've met some really great people in the airport just since I've been typing this. One very nice couple from Connecticut and a young man from West Virginia. Two West Virginian's meeting in an Irish Airport Hanger...who would have thought?

Time to go...from here, it only gets tougher so I have to psych myself up for this next leg! Next time you hear from me I should be there. I'm not sure when I can update because I have no idea what my living/working situation will be. But know I am doing well and concentrating on that return home! Until then, keep us all in your prayers and know all of us are serving with your Freedoms and safety foremost in our minds.

8 comments:

QuiltingFitzy said...

You are in my thoughts daily. Take in everything you see and do, commit it to memory. We're all pulling for you!

Anonymous said...

Addie--
Thanks for the update...I'll check your blog everyday. I texted you back yesterday but I don't think it made it to you in time. You are in my prayers..
Love always,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Addie, I've been following your blog since your mother told me you were re-deployed. You and your family are in my prayers. I trust you will keep us all abreast of the situations there. Mr. Reed and all the rest of us at Barrackville School will be following along as well. Let us know if we can do anything for you. I've always felt bad that we didn't do anything as a school last time. Be sure to let us know if we can help in any way!

ancient one said...

Thinking of you, Addie, and praying for you too!! Love you!! ~Ann

gail said...

Addie, Miss you so much already. Thinking of you all the time. So much I see around me, reminds me of you right now. I am so proud to have you as a part of my family. Started to write, but no where to send it yet. By the time I do, this letter will take a week to read. All the adventures of the Zinone Family. Just know you are always in our thoughts and prayers. I Love You....xxoo Gail.

Linda Collins said...

Hey baby,
It was wonderful to open my e mail to find your name....and the call was an unexpected joy just before you left...I am so proud of you and like Gail, I am working on that "live" letter...as I remember what you said about having hand written mail with a stamp to carry with you...you will have so many this time...long and involved filled with love and admiration for what you and so many others are doing...I love you and can't wait for the next message...you are in so many prayers but I can't imagine more often than mine...God really knows your name!
Love MOM

smilnsigh said...

"...and know all of us are serving with your Freedoms and safety foremost in our minds."

Yes, my Dear. Especially this. If only more remembered this, every day.

God speed.

Be safe.

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci

Anonymous said...

Thank you for helping protect our freedom!