Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Fallen

I must say that despite my best efforts, keeping up with this blog has been challenging. You see, I have internet in my trailer, without limitations, but I have to string the cord roughly 300 feet from the portal to reach my trailer and on several occasions, the cord has been severed and/or the connection lost. It works maybe 40% of the time and I pay $85 bucks a month for it! That's some costly instant messaging wouldn't you say? Point is, the only place I can update this is in my trailer and I can barely get on-line to email my husband! I do have internet access at the office but because they are government provided computers, we can't access most sites, especially if it has blog in the URL. It's quite frustrating actually because most news sites are blocked and articles I wish to read on the election or on the news that shapes our world aren't accessible. And since I don't have cable in my room, a lot of the time I feel fairly secluded from what's going on outside the cement t-wall barriers and constantina wires of the FOB.

But it's when I get outside the confines of this base that I truly find out what is going on. I am reminded, sadly, of the price many people are paying.

Two weeks ago, I was told to pack lightly for a pretty high-speed mission outside the wire. I didn't really know what was going on but I knew it wasn't going to be the kind of story I usually cover here on LSA Anaconda. This was, they said, the 101st Airborne Division's response to the death of three of their soldiers.

We left the FOB (Forward Operation Base) before the sun came up on a Friday, convoying through freezing rain and yes, snow in the desert. I traveled with the 2nd Battalion, 320th Field Artillery Regiment out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Their mission was to suppress the objective (enemy) using 1200 rounds of highly explosive ammunition (artillery) from their offensive staging area 10 kilometers away. Basically, they were tasked with raining explosive hell on an Al Qaeda base camp (the objective) just south of Samarra until ground forces could go in and finish the job.

To understand this operation, you must first understand the events leading up to it. On February 8th, soldiers conducting ground patrols in the area received word about suspicious movement within the high reeded farmlands in Samarra. Those soldiers, consisting of squads from Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, set out to recon the area. As they were doing this, they were ambushed by the enemy who, they later found out, were Al Qaeda insurgents conducting extensive operations against US and coalition forces in the area.

During the 3 hour battle, 3 United States soldiers died. 19-year-old PFC Ivan Merlo, 20-year-old PFC Phillip Pannier, and 22-year-old SGT David Hart. When our young men die, there is a price to pay. And that price came in the form of OPERATION FULTON.

It's unclear how many of the enemy were killed but what is clear is that their little sanctuary of hate in the middle of Samarra is now nothing more than an open air morgue of smoldering debris. No one wants to think of soldiers dying to further the war but in this case, these brave men truly did not die in vain. The offensive launched as a result of their deaths, Operation Fulton, unearthed one of the largest Al Qaeda strongholds in the region. Within those reeds were underground tunnel systems, dug-in fighting positions, medical stations, and escape routes. Al Qaeda planned and conducted attacks against US and coalition forces like dirty little tunnel rats until January 8th when our soldiers, including PFC Merlo, PFC Pannier, and SGT Hart fought and died to take them down.

When I cover stories like this, I am so humbled by what I see and hear. I talk to young men who helplessly watch their friends die and somehow, they still soldier on. When they talk to me, they are methodical in their thinking and speaking, almost robotic in their delivery. They are sad, I'm sure, but they keep emotion out of it. They have to. Because they aren't going home any time soon and this ambush may be just one of many they will face until that time comes.

It's also times like these that I'm reminded what my job is as a soldier. That although the last thing they want to do is recount what killed their friends, this is their opportunity, through me, to tell the story of their friends as soldiers, as heroes, as men. I'm humbled by that and I realize that if I didn't serve my country while holding a camera, you may never know the names IVAN MERLO, PHILLIP PANNIER, and DAVID HART and the sacrifice they made for all of us.

19 Year Old Ivan Merlo

20 Year Old Phillip Pannier

22 Year Old David Hart

11 comments:

smilnsigh said...

Thank you. You have brought it all home to me, yet again. All that young life snuffed out, to keep me peaceful and free, at my computer, this cold Jan. morning.

You may not be able to blog as much as you would like. But entries like this, are what is important about your keeping a blog going. For when you can add to it.

And the info that you are cut off from news sources, is also interesting. Problem is ~ I voluntarily cut myself off from most MSM, because it has such a blatant agenda.

But the difference is, I have free access to the Net, where I can search for balance. The Military do not.

And yet, the chosen role of the military, is so different from any other job or role in society. Perhaps it is psychologically better, to be cut off from the MSM of today's world... in order to be able to perform their/your work?

Perhaps?

I don't know. I don't have any answers. All I have are questions. And gratitude to you and to all Military.

Be safe...

Mari-Nanci
P.S. I'm going to leave a link to this entry, in my 'Pretty Blog Land' place. We all need to take a look into the real world out there, once in a while. Me, included. Thank you, again.

Mississippi Songbird said...

Words simply cannot express my gratitude for all that you and the soldiers do. Thank you for updating us and keeping us informed.I hate that you have to go through so much, just to update..I want to share your blog with everyone I know.. Take care, God bless you all and keep you safe. and God Bless The USA!

ancient one said...

Hello Addie,

Aunt Elsie had prepared me for this blog. When I don't see an update for awhile, I always ask about you.

Sad about the ones who gave all! There is no way to say how much I appreciate all our troops do to keep us safe. Prayers are with you always.

Stay safe.
Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving us names of three brave soliders who gave their life for what they believe in.
David,Phillip and Ivan's famileis and friends will bein our thoughts and prayers every day.
ALL of our soliders will be in our thoughts and prayers until EVERY last solider comes home.

Love your cuz,
Nellie

hippo chick said...

If this is hard for me to read, I can't imagine how hard it must be for all of you to live. Thank you for allowing us to see into your life. Thank you, too, for being there for us.

I'm adding a link to your blog on my blog.

Renie Burghardt said...

Dear Addie,

It is hard for me to read this as well. I feel terribly sad for the families of the three young soldiers, David, Philip and Ivan, who gave their lives for this cause. And I just heard on the news that five more of our soldiers were killed yesterday. I pray every day for the safety of all our troops. Thank you for letting us read what it's really like there. Stay safe, and God bless you for your service. I fervently hope and pray that you can all come home to your loved ones very soon!

Blessings!

Renie

mreddie said...

I came here through ancient one's blog and I just want to thank you for what you are doing and thanks for the straight information. ec

Louise said...

Thank you Addie and may God bless you and all those who faithfully serve to keep us safe. May God minister His peace to the families of these precious young men.

Mississippi Songbird said...

Addie, I'm praying for you and our troops daily.. Just wanted to say Thank you again..
God Bless you all and keep you safe..

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for what you do and for having posted this blog. IVAN was a great friend of mine and having read this allows me to make a lil' more sence of what has happened...thank you very much...God Bless.

susy

Anonymous said...

i miss and will always love my ivan